Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Shaking Things Up

Share
{image via tasteofhome.com}

When my stepfather met me for the first time, he turned to my mom and said, "For a little girl, she sure can eat a lot."  


And it's true - I love food! And back when I was younger and more spry and ran all the time - this love never appeared in the form of a muffin top, it never nestled on my hips or held on tightly to my lower abs.


But now, with a slower metabolism, less time (motivation) to work out and a sudden obsession for all thing Starbucks - things have changed.  Yet my appetite has remained exactly the same.  That is to say, voracious.


So I decided I needed to shake things up.  Literally. I needed to incorporate some healthy breakfast smoothies into my morning routine.  Which is when I ran across MrBreakfast.com.  


I love Mr. Breakfast - whoever he is.  He's introduced me to a variety of ways to mix up fruit, vanilla soy milk and even Peanut Butter and Jelly! 


Here are a few of my favorites breakfast shakes, courtesy of the new guy in my life:


Banana Almond Crush

  • 2 bananas
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 3/4 cup plain organic yogurt
  • 1 tblspn raw honey
  • 1/3 cup raw almonds
  • 1 dash nutmeg
In a blender, first grind almonds to fine powder. Add remaining ingredients and continue blending.


-----


Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie

  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 ripe banana (frozen)
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons jelly or preserves (any flavor)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 cup of ice
Place all of the ingredients in a blender; blend for 3 minutes or until smooth. Serve cold.


----


Blueberry Smoothie

  • 2 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
  • 1 1/4 cups apple juice
  • 1 cup frozen yogurt -- vanilla
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions are real easy. Just throw everything in the blender and blend until smooth. Serve right away.

2 comments:

  1. I'm bookmarking this! Especially interested in the blueberry smoothie, that sounds divine. RIP our metabolisms...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, saying goodbye to eating anyway I want has been very sad indeed. I'm still full from my smoothie this morning though - so hopefully I've found the cure to my insatiable appetite (at least for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete